Japan’s first bamboo wedding was held in Castleton, Maine, in June of 1842.
It was attended by the wife of King James I and her daughter, Mary Queen of Scots.
The ceremony was attended mostly by the British and the Japanese, but also included a large number of European settlers, including the poet and novelist John Keats.
Keats died in 1849, but his wife’s son, Thomas, became a prominent figure in the celebration, and his work was used as the backdrop for the ceremony.
The bride was a British citizen named Emma, who was married in 1843 to Thomas Keats’s cousin, George Thomas.
The couple spent the next seven years together, and the couple had a son, John, in 1850.
The next year, Emma, then a 16-year-old schoolgirl, became pregnant, and she and John had to have a cesarean section.
They were still in love when they were separated in 1852.
Emma married Thomas in May of 1853.
The two lived together in New England until they moved to Maine in 1854.
Thomas became a successful businessman and later owned the first cotton mill in Maine.
In 1861, Thomas Keat died, and Emma became the new wife of William Randolph Hearst, publisher of the New York Times.
She became a wealthy woman, and her son John was born in 1873.
She died in the spring of 1882, and in her will, she provided that John would inherit all her estate.
That included the property in Castlegar.
When the family moved to New Hampshire in 1887, Emma Keat and John Keat purchased the home at 16 Main Street, where they built a cabin and then lived in it until the mid-1950s.
In the 1950s, the Keats purchased a home in the same neighborhood and, when that home was sold, John bought the property at the corner of Main and East Main streets.
John Keats lived at the cabin until his death in 1992, and he lived there until his passing in 2000.
The Keats family owned the house and it is known as “Castleton House,” which means “House of the Queen.”
The Keats home, which is one of the oldest in New Hampshire, has a small garden with a wooden fence that has stood since the 1860s.
It is currently used as a classroom for the Keat School of Music and Drama.